Welcome to our website – we hope you find what you are looking for. If not, please use our contact page to let us know what you are after and we will get back to you!
These pages are designed to help people become aware of the condition, understand the challenges faced and how they generally can be overcome. Those with albinism are no different to the rest of the population – they just have low vision issues and need to be vigilant with skin protection. In the past there have been barriers to some employment, but today with the development of technology, children are able to study alongside peers and are able to take up a wide range of employment opportunities.
If you have albinism, we are here to support those with albinism of all ages, providing information through our member pages and opportunities to meet and share experiences with others who have the condition. It is important to know that you are not alone!
About the AFA
The Albinism Fellowship of Australia (AFA) is a national, non-profit organization established in 2005. It is run by volunteers who have albinism or been personally touched by albinism in some way.
The AFA’s key purpose is to provide support, education and fellowship to those with albinism, parents of children with albinism as well as their families and friends. While the albinism community in Australia is only small, the AFA provides a united voice to encourage productive developments and support within business, government and media.
Our mission is to :
- Provide fellowship within the Australian albinism community,
- Promote understanding of albinism to our stakeholders,
- Foster relationships with international albinism networks.
Our vision is to facilitate universal understanding, acceptance and celebration of albinism in Australasia.
AFA Membership Offers
- Access to information on albinism, assistance and resources available through our members area of the website.
- Discounted registration for our biennial conference and invitations to state and local area events.
- Welcome pack to parents of newly diagnosed children.
- Receive information on news, events, or local information via email.
- Other offers and partnerships as listed on our Membership page.
Note that the free skin check previously offered by a Melbourne dermatologist has now ended.
Banner photo (alternating above) of teenagers with book – courtesy of Geelong Advertiser.